Summer is finally here!!! It’s time for vacation! When packing for a vacation, I’ve found there are 5 items that kids need, but are commonly forgotten.
- Sunglasses – With all the time kids spend in the sun, sunglasses are VERY important. Your kids only get one pair of eyes and it is important to take care of them. If your kids get to pick out their sunglasses or jazz them up with some fun stickers, they might be excited about wearing them.
- Towel – Even if you are not planning on going to the beach, you never know when you will come across a stream worth dipping your toes in. Kids like to get messy! Let it happen! Towels are also great for having picnics or keeping little bodies warm.
- Sunscreen – Just like sunglasses, sunscreen plays a crucial part in keeping kids safe from the sun! Many times, it is thought that if you’re child is in the pool or in the shade, they don’t need sunscreen. This is WRONG! Whenever your child is outside, they should be wearing sunscreen!
- Home Object – For kids, it is hard to be away from home, even for short periods of time. Having an object that is a reminder of home can be a big comfort. This can be something like a blanket or pillowcase. It could also be a book or stuffed animal. It’s better to bring something small, so it doesn’t take up too much room (but definitely not too small where it gets lost).
- Summer Workbook – Yes, school is “over”. But you never stop learning!!! I love giving kids summer workbooks, which are not intended to challenge a whole lot. The purpose is more to keep the skills that they learned this year fresh in their minds. If you don’t have a summer workbook, another thing I like is a summer journal. Have kids simply write about their day or give them a prompt. they’ll get creative from there!
Traveling with kids is an adventure, but hopefully packing these items will make your vacation go a little smoother! Happy Summer!