Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching! It’s one of my favorite days because you get to express how much you love someone. There are many ways to express love, but by far my favorite is in food! Especially sweets!!!
Today, I’m going to show you how to transform a sweet strawberry box cake into a fantastic heart delight!
You Will Need:
- Box of Strawberry Cake Mix
- Heart Shaped Cake Pan
- Flour (for dusting pan)
The Following Depend on the Cake Mix You Use:
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 3(ish) eggs
- 1 Cup of Room Temperature Butter
- 3 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 4 Tbsp of Milk
- 4 Cups of Powdered Sugar
To make your box cake, you combine your ingredients in a mixer bowl and blend them for 30 seconds – 1 minute, stir, and then mix for about 3 minutes. Preheat your oven to temperature on box. Coat you cake pan with a thin layer of Crisco and dust with flour. Bake the cake for approximately 30-35 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes. Cut off all uneven parts of the cake. Now…for my favorite part….the icing!
To make you icing…beat (with a hand mixer) the butter, sugar, and vanilla until combined. Then, pour in milk and mix for 4 minutes. I used food coloring to make my icing pink.
I used a decorating bag and flower tip to make my design on my cake. First, I Should Have done a thin crumb coat on the cake. Load some icing into the bag and twist. Gently squeeze the bag and release after 2 seconds to make the flowers.
I hope you and your family have a great Valentines Day!
“So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.” -Genesis 1:27
Dear Insecure Child,
I was you…..sometimes I am you. All those thoughts in your head – forget them. They aren’t true. You are beautiful. You are created in God’s image. God painted a self portrait when he made you. When you see yourself in the mirror, you should see a gorgeous creation of God. Easier said than done – I know. When the words of hatred pierce your heart, let them roll off your back. Though your face may have pimples, and you think you’re overweight, reflect on this verse. It may seem hard now, but you’ll brave the storm. You are a perfectly made imperfect(sinner) daughter/son of God.
P.S. The best people to talk to about these insecurities are moms and dads.
PB & J sandwich…….ahhh. Scrumptious! What is your favorite part of the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich? The peanut butter? The bread? Well, mine is the jelly!!! But of course, I get sick of only eating jelly on a sandwich or a biscuit. So, I love jelly rolls! A jelly roll is simply a cake/bread with jelly and powdered sugar………..My mouth is watering! I’ve tried so many recipes and this is BY FAR my favorite!
Ingredients (yields about 8-10 servings):
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
- Powdered sugar (estimated 3 handfuls for coating and sprinkling)
- 3/4 cup of jelly
How To Make Jelly Rolls
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Grease parchment paper with shortening.
- In an electric mixer, beat eggs on high power until thick. Beat in sugar gradually. On low power, combine baking powder, salt, and flour. (It is good to have the bubbles in it). Pour into pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar all over a kitchen towel (Don’t rub in). Remove cake from parchment paper, and flip onto towel. Starting from the narrow side, roll the towel and cake in a tight spiral. Let cool for 25 minutes.
- Unroll the roll. 🙂 Remove the towel as well. Spread the jelly everywhere around the cake!!! (This is fun for me). Roll the cake back up and sprinkle the top with powdered sugar for decoration.
- Slice and enjoy!!!!!!!
I hope you enjoy the jelly roll as much as I do!
Yes, it’s Wednesday. Sorry about the late post. This week, we memorized a verse of scripture. I am very forgetful…..very… Kids can be, too (especially if it’s “boring”). I have come up with a way to get kids involved in a craft while memorizing scripture at the same time.
Scripture Memory Book:
I used the following verse –
“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.” -Psalm 19:14
You Will Need:
- Construction Paper
- Staple or Metal Circle Clips (If you do this, you will need a hole puncher)
- Break the verse up into parts (you want to be able to draw pictures about each part). This is how I broke up my verse: Let the words of my mouth (BREAK 1) and the meditation of my heart (BREAK 2) be acceptable (BREAK 4) in thy sight (BREAK 5) O LORD (BREAK 6), my rock (BREAK 7) and my redeemer.
- Draw the pictures! We drew a mouth for our first part, a heart for part 2, a square with positive words for part 3, “God’s eye” for break 4, a letter ‘o’ with Jesus written across it, a rock with the word ‘my’ written on it, and finally a cross with ‘my’ written on it. The pictures explain them better. 🙂
- Put ’em all together! Align your pictures in order, and staple or hole punch them. Have fun memorizing!